At Dunbia no two days will be the same. If you’re looking for a business which challenges, you to think outside the box then this graduate programme is for you. We’re offering you an opportunity, through our graduate programme, to ensure you thrive in your chosen field and gain invaluable on-the-job experience. As a Food Safety and Quality Graduate working in a face-paced environment, you will be part of a dedicated, driven and supportive team.
Joining the company through the Graduate Programme will provide you with an opportunity to understand the business, build strong relationships, participate in continuous improvement projects and set career objectives, all of which are about preparing you for a leadership role, supporting the development of your skills and knowledge and helping you gain the necessary experience to ensure that you have a successful and fulfilling career within the Food Safety and Quality department of Dunbia.
As a Trainee Food Safety and Quality Graduate, you will work as part of a dedicated, driven and supportive team, as your skills and knowledge develop over time, you will get involved in all aspects of Food Safety and Quality within the business and your responsibility will increase. It is important that you understand that it is your responsibility to ensure that your development is discussed regularly, that you avail of opportunities to expand your knowledge and that you build and develop strong relationships within the Food Safety and Quality Department and wider business teams.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Familiarise yourself with the organisational structure, particularly within the site where you are based. Identify key members of the team & the wider management that can support you in your development and ensure that you work towards building a strong network.
- Build and maintain strong working relationships with the site’s Food Safety and Quality team.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the other graduates within your network and offer support and guidance to each other where possible.
- Clearly communicate with colleagues, whether face to face, on the phone or via email, always being courteous and professional.
- Ensure that all requests for information are responded to in a timely manner and paying particular attention to detail.
- Have a proactive and positive approach to requests for involvement in business initiatives and/or projects, this will support your on-going development.
- Build a strong working relationship with your line manager ensuring an open, honest communication is practiced.
- To participate fully and enthusiastically in the Graduate induction programme, during initial 12 weeks, which involves rotating through the business gaining a broad knowledge of how each area operates, whereby Food Safety and Quality engages with each department and how they interact with each other and receive full exposure and training in all aspects of the business and meat industry.
- To participate fully in all training and gain a robust understanding in all aspects of the Primary & Retail Production Sites, as the operational understanding is the foundation of the business and essential training grounds for graduates.
- Gaining a full understanding of operations is key for a successful career in the Food Safety and Quality field detailed knowledge in procurement, lairage, slaughter, primary carcass breakdown inc yields, boning/production, customer specifications, stock rotation (maturation), retail intake, retail processing and packing and retail planning is essential.
- To receive training within the Food Safety and Quality Assurance Function including detailed knowledge of quality assurance, regulatory, food safety, innovation, food safety and quality services, hygiene and microbiology.
- To comply with all relevant legislation ensuring we meet the necessary regulatory standards for Food Safety for of all our customers.
- Build a close working relationship with NPD colleagues, developing an in depth understanding of NPD processes and the main areas of collaboration required between NPD and food safety departments.
- Develop a strong understanding of our supply chain, processes, challenges and risks associated from a food safety perspective.
- Work closely with production and quality control to support the strengthening of. relationships with all existing and new customers, ensuring you provide the highest level of customer service and support at every opportunity.
- To assist with food safety & quality operations, procedures and document control.
- To ensure the on-going maintenance and updating the department files including SOP’s, Risk Assessments, HACCP documents and quality management documents.
- To assist in carrying out audits as per schedule.
- To assist in evaluating the written SOP’s being implemented, trained and compiled with in all areas.
- To support the maintaining and managing of non-conformant logs.
- To ensure the logging of complaints and communicating to the relevant personnel.
- To undertake and assist with close investigations into complaints including route cause analysis.
- To carry out the microbiological and chemical sampling of finished product and raw materials as per sampling schedule.
- To assist in carrying out internal audits and assisting with external and customer audits
- To ensure you work collaboratively with the Food Safety and Quality team to monitor quality assurance, hygiene and food safety activities and you work with relevant departments to ensure the highest level of customer service is delivered.
- To review current procedures and practices and recommend new and improved Food Safety innovation where possible to your line manager.
- Ensure that you contribute and deliver on all project commitments.
- Ensure deadlines are met and time is managed efficiently.
- Always keep the project manager and/or your line manager up to date on any issues, difficulties or the potential of missing a deadline, ask for help and support where necessary.
- Actively seek opportunities to engage in projects and initiatives that will develop your skill, knowledge and that could raise your profile within the business.
- As you develop within the role, support your line manager in the initiation, development and implementation of value adding projects, implementing the relevant department. project initiatives, monitoring progress, developing corrective actions as appropriate and reporting regularly on achievement to targets.
- Ensure that you operate in line with our Environmental and Health & Safety standards, processes and policies.
- To gain a comprehensive understanding of Food Safety and Quality processes within the business.
- To understand the importance of Animal Welfare within the business.
- Act as an ambassador for the site at all times, behaving in a professional and courteous manner with both internal and external customers.
Provide information to visitors / auditors, as required and when requested.
ANY OTHER DUTIES
The above is a broad definition of the job responsibilities however it does not include every aspect of the role because of the areas of flexibility, which the job holder may be required to perform.
TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND COMPETENCY
The post holder must possess the following technical knowledge and competency for this role:
- Standards and systems: Demonstrates an understanding of operating integrity, quality processes and systems and has high standards for compliance and quality at Food Safety Level 3.
- Finance: Demonstrates strong financial understanding and business acumen.
- Customer and consumer focus: Understands the importance of the customer relationship, together with a strong understanding of the processes and procedures needed to be implemented to maintain production and quality standards set by the business.
- Communication: Communicates clearly with the team and throughout the business, with the ability to develop and enhance food safety understanding throughout the site. Has a positive influence on the team with the ability to influence and support team members.
- Commitment to process and results: Demonstrates a desire to question processes, drive efficiency and to influence change where necessary.
- Team working: Understands team dynamics, demonstrates the ability to work as an active and constructive member of a team with a professional enthusiastic attitude.
- Information management: Uses and manages information appropriately and has a strong attention to detail.
- HSE: Demonstrates an understanding and awareness of HSE requirements, always complies and operates in line with policies and procedures. Level 2 Health & Safety.
- Computer systems: Possesses relevant IT literacy.
Our Brighter Futures Programme
Our training and development schemes are unmatched, and not only will you be learning from fully trained and passionate individuals, but you will also receive:
- Dedicated mentor
- Direct access to senior leaders
- Opportunities to undertake assignments, secondments and innovative project work across the business
- Investment in blue chip residential offsite training